The more we looked into GDPR the more we realised that we needed some external help. Whilst we are not stupid we certainly felt confused by the contradicting messages and information out there. Working with Just Add Tech enabled us to see the wood for the trees and put in place a sensible plan to move forward. As accountants the security of our clients data is vital. We could not afford to get this wrong.
– Jon Jenkins, Smart Team – www.yoursmartteam.co.uk
Business Name: Smart Team
Commencement Date: March 2018
Nature of Job: GDPR audit and recommendations. Guidance, support and implementation of recommendations paying particular attention to the regulatory requirements of companies professional body.
Systems Used: LastPass, Senta, Microsoft
- Legislative changes enforcing amendments to process, procedures and systems
- Timing of changes
- Potential costs of changes and reputation damage with non-compliance
- Training staff and clients on any changes
- Professional body interpretation of the legislation and regulatory updates required
Having worked with Smart Team before we have become their partner in relation to all things IT. Successes gained through those other projects have enabled us to have a close working relationship and we are the first point of call. We have been fortunate enough to be referred to some Smart Team clients and have completed projects for them.
To assist the company in addressing these key issues, we worked alongside the client and their outsourced finance department to understand the key processes and responsibilities in place. These sessions helped to help identify whether the objectives and systems were aligned. The key outcomes of these sessions were:
- Each party had a lack of understanding around how the others work was completed
- Manual interventions and duplication of data input was created meaning additional workload and possible errors
- There was a need to reduce the data input and duplication to ensure time was available for a smooth transition and a single database of customer details
- There were multiple differences between the existing companies invoicing and payment process and that of the business being acquired. This needed to be replicated to reduce any friction for the new customer base
- It was going to be a difficult period of transition for the outsourcing company as the acquisition was taking place mid-January during tax season
- Neither party had significant free time to project manage and implement the changes
Because of these issues, we then completed thorough research of the options available and worked with the client and outsourcers to review these. We then went through a process of testing, selection, implementation and training.
- The company has setup 150+ customers with Direct Debit including transferring 40 existing Standing Order customers.
- Reduced Credit Card Processing fees from 3.4% to 1.4% by switching from PayPal to Stripe
- Improved cash collections and debtor days whilst not increasing bookkeeping or credit control resource
- Created an import file from Salesforce to Xero for weekly sales invoicing reducing the errors made by rekeying data and making the process quicker. Doubling the level of invoices has had no effect on the amount of resource required to complete the invoicing.
- Bank Reconciliation automation enabling accurate, fast sales invoice allocation to Direct Debits. Automated email reminders can be emailed from Xero.